The holidays are upon us, you’ve done the planning, the shopping… what’s left? The WRAPPING! Don’t let long hours of present wrapping wreck your back this year! Here are a few simple tips to keep your back healthy and feeling good, so that you can enjoy celebrating with family and friends.
- If you are sitting, DO NOT sit on the floor surrounded by boxes and wrapping material. Sit at a table with your feet flat on the floor. Keep a straight posture, making sure not to curve or round your shoulders forward.
- If you are standing, try to find a taller surface, like a counter, to help keep you from hunching forward, instead allowing you to keep your back straight while wrapping. It is also important to wear comfortable and supportive footwear, especially if you have many presents to wrap!
- Set up your work area first. Make sure you are able to grab what you need (tape, paper, scissors, ribbon, gift tags) without having to lean or reach across the table.
- Get assistance from helpful elves when lifting presents that are heavy. (visit Trinity Rehab on Youtube for tips on lifting heavy objects)
- Take breaks often! Staying in one position for a long period of time can make your muscles stiff. Try not to stay in one position for more than 30 minutes. Try to Get up, walk around and stretch at least every 30 minutes.