now available Request Your
Spring is finally here! It is the time of year when we hear a lot of complaints from patients of back pain after a weekend of yard work and gardening. Back pain can be the result of poor posture, even while gardening. Here are a few tips to avoid back pain and strain so that you can enjoy pain-free gardening, this year.
- When you are picking up that pot or bag of soil, make sure you are bending with your knees and not with your back to avoid throwing your back out. (check out our video on picking up something heavy).
- Keep your back straight. If you need to kneel down, keep one knee bent up in front of you to help support your upper body. If you are sitting, make sure you are bending from your hips, not rounding your back.
- Have all your gardening tools and plants nearby so that you do not have to bend, reach or twist to reach them.
- Go shopping! There are a ton of new gardening tools that allow you to bend less with handles that are longer and shaped to make them easier to hold. Don’t forget to use kneeling pads to protect your knees!
- Take hydration, stretching and “Posture Check” breaks often.
If you have questions about how to stay pain-free outdoors this spring, call your local New Jersey Trinity Rehab location.